It all happened on the night of July 7th during a peaceful protest against police officers brutalizing black people. This racial conversation has become a hot topic in the United States creating an atmosphere that seems to open wounds from the time of the Civil Rights movement.

This protest was sparked by the unfortunate fatal shooting of African Americans (Alton Sterling and Philando Castile) in Louisiana and Minnesota by police officers. The Black Lives Matter protest, organized by the Next Generation Action Network was taking place peacefully until gunfire was heard.

Micah Xavier Johnson shot at the people and, ambush-style, killed five police officers and injured another nine. Two civilians were also hurt during the shooting.  The shooting began at 8:58 pm.  Some people reported to hearing from 50 to 75 shots, turning downtown Dallas into a war zone. 

According to reports, Johnson, an Army Reserve Afghan War veteran was well aware of the route of the parade.  At the end of it, he found a vantage point on a tall building.  After the shooting started, a rampage ensued. The standoff between Johnson and the officers lasted over five hours.

Some of the officers were shot in the back. When the shooting started, the police, not knowing where the shots were coming from, scrambled out to block intersections, exposing themselves to gunfire. Johnson then started to fire indiscriminately to lure officers towards him. On a disturbing video shot by a civilian, it can be seen how Johnson, dressed in tactical clothes and with a rifle, ambushes an officer shooting him multiple times at point blank range.

Negotiations then started.  Johnson offered to talk but only to black officers.  However, according to Chief Brown, "We had negotiated with him for about two hours, and he just basically lied to us, playing games, laughing at us, singing, asking how many did he get and that he wanted to kill some more."

After negotiations had failed, a bomb disposal remote control vehicle armed with a C4 explosive was sent towards Johnson, killing him at 2:30 am, July 8. 

During conversations with the officers, Micah Johnson admitted to being angry with police officers, especially white officers. The shooting was the deadliest incident for law enforcement since the September 11 events in New York, known as 9-11.